Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Home Buying Experience

We sealed the deal last month.
Buying a home is an extremely stressful experience. Infact I will go so far as to say that buying a home can be more stressful than getting married!(which is widely accepted as the most stressful experience in one’s life). After all I had known my husband for 6 years before we tied the knot last year.
But if you like a house, the sales guy will know through some weird 6th sense and he will pressure you into signing that cheque as a token of your commitment even while he paints a fairly vivid picture of a family walking through the door in the next 5 minutes ready to snatch your future home from under your noses 

I re-lived the stress, helplessness, confusion, uncertainty, anxiety, not to mention acidity I experienced during my wedding in those excruciating months of house hunting.

What made it even more harrowing was that fact that my husband and I were complete novices in this complex game of property purchase.

We were plagued with doubts. What should we look for when buying a home- affordability?location? conveniences ? comfort? luxury? aesthetics?
All of the Above!!!??

Were we being too choosy? Should we have bought that house that didn’t seem so bad? Is everybody out to fleece us because they could smell our ignorance from a distance??

Well, I am paranoid by nature and the house hunting was not doing me any good.

But when we finally decided on the house we wanted to buy… it turned out to be one of the easiest decisions we have ever made.

I am not sure I can exactly pinpoint the moment the decision was made.

Was it the moment when I walked into the house and was greeted by the sunlight that came rushing through the french windows, or maybe it was the moment when I opened the full length sliding glass doors that led to the balcony and the breeze caressed my cheek, or was it the moment when I walked through the corridor and was amazed by the way the each room naturally led to the other. Or was it the moment when I was overwhelmed by a sense that the person who designed the house knew us intimately and had done everything possible to make sure we were comfortable…to make sure that the space became our own…

10 minutes into the tour of the apartment, my husband and I looked at each other and we knew that we had found our home.

Of course we discussed location, price, distances, conveniences etc etc . They were all factored into our decision. After all this was the biggest financial commitment we had made thus far.

But truth be told, we stretched our budget, we compromised a bit on location (I had never heard of the place before but it is a promising location I hear) and conveniences (the only thing worth reporting in the vicinity is a ‘Reliance Fresh’) ……all for the warm light, cool breeze and sensible, user friendly, intimate design …..

Like they say, Matches are made in heaven. We had finally met ours 

0 comments:

Post a Comment